Monday, June 27, 2016

Dragon Awards, one more time!

Yep, this is my third post on the Dragon Awards. New stuff has come out, and it's eligible, and my last post had some holes in it. Please note, anthologies, short stories, novellas, novelettes, and poetry currently have no categories. So, without further delay, here's my current recommendations:

SF Novel: Somewhither by John C. Wright (Souldancer by Brian Niemeier is second in my mind here)
Fantasy Novel: Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia (Iron Chamber of Memory by John C. Wright is really good, too)
YA Novel: Mutiny in Space by Rod Walker is now my top choice (Sanderson's Calamity is still good)
Best Mil SF/F: Counterstrike by Joshua Dalzelle
Alt History: I've got nothing. Give it to Turtledove THIS year.
Apocalyptic Novel: Ctrl Alt Revolt! by Nick Cole
Horror Novel: Still going with Honor at Stake by Declan Finn
Comic Book: The Black Hood, by Duane Swierczynski and Francesco Francavilla
Graphic Novel: Invisible Republic vol. 1 by Gabriel Hardman and Corinna Sarah Bechko
TV Show: I'll drop The Flash here, but I like Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow also.
Movie:Go with Captain America: Civil War
PC/Console Game: no opinion(I'm  a tabletop kind of guy)
Mobile Game: same as above
Board Game: Talon by GMT Games (Mare Nostrum and Scythe may or not be eligible, I'm not sure how they'd handle "release" vs. KS fulfillment)
Miniatures/Card/RPG: Warmachine/Hordes Mark III by Privateer Press (miniatures game rules are up already, war room is up, and the physical stuff drops on 6/29)


I like the Dragon Awards already. Quality indicators for the year are going to be more honest than Hugo/Nebula, just in nomination process. And those ignore games.

When you play Social Justice, the world loses.

1 comment: