Thursday, March 9, 2017

Injustice Quick Reviews 2.3

Cower not, fierce reader! On this fine day, we have before us a collection of fine works to warm your enemies' hearts. Trust me, they taste better warmed. Most of these tales are by new-ish authors, though some have been in publishing awhile.On to the books!

Sword & Flower by Rawle Nyanzi- He's a Puritan swordsman(somewhat like another I could name). She's a Japanese pop princess. They're now both fighting against the forces of hell in lesser paradise. A good first work, and I hope for more from him. Major crime: Does it really need to sound more awesome? Didn't think so. 8 of 10 fell deeds.

Scaling the Rim by Dorothy Grant- Failed terraforming, suicidal/homicidal scientists, genetically designed settlers, and a winter that wants to kill you when it's being nice. I think Mrs. Grant might still hate that part of Alaska life a bit much. Major crime: Trust the government? HAHAHAHA. 7 of 10 fell deeds.

Carson of Venus by Edgar Rice Burroughs- The Venus books continue to blow me away, and Carson takes on the Zani (yes, they are literary Nazis). This book thoroughly puts to rest any honest person's curiosity as to ERB being a Nazi or sympathizer- they're bumbling idiot bad guys. Look, if you aren't ahead of me on this series by now, and you saw my review of the first when I published it, SHAME ON YOU! THE EBOOKS ARE A DOLLAR!  Major crime: Gee, refuting the dishonest narrative?  9 of 10 fell deeds.

Path of Angels by Dawn Witzke- Dawn provided me with an ARC of this book, and I'm grateful. I personally found the opening more intriguing than the rest, perhaps more a reflection of preferred perspective than anything else. I also was not satisfied with the ending, but that's me. Relax, Dawn, the story IS good. There is a fair amount of proper action, perhaps a bit much introspection(though that does fit the character), and I honestly found some minor characters  really interesting, making me wish for more on them. Major crime: Pilgrimage in a world where faith is illegal. 7 of 10 fell deeds.

The Chicolini Incident by Robert Kroese- Yep, it's a trip into the Starship Grifters Universe. Yep, it's got comedy. Yep, there's action. Yep, there's Rex screwing up into somehow getting away with all he pulled. \shillvoice Madcap action that will have you chuckling from beginning  to end. \end shillvoice Major crime: How many times can a con man screw up and stay alive, honestly? 8 of 10 fell deeds.

When you play Social Justice, the world loses.

No comments:

Post a Comment